wwworkshop partnered with Ruban Jamaica to redesign their website to function as a portfolio for their previous and ongoing construction projects. The client wanted an original custom design that was clean, prioritised their body of work and made it easy for customers to get in touch.
About the Project
Ruban Jamaica’s main problem was that their previous website was incomplete and abandoned by their previous web designer. We were hired to use our creativity and technical knowledge to rebuild the site from scratch utilising WordPress, an open-source content management system.
Some outlined issues were:
- The website's incomplete state gives users a bad first impression
- Their YouTube channel was not promoted
- Slow load times (over 30 seconds)
- Poor on-page and technical search engine optimisation
- No SSL certficate
- Landing page was too large (over 10mb)
- Broken links
- + more
To efficiently fix the problems identified by both wwworkshop and the client, we divided the solutions into four categories:
- Speed Optimisation
It’s important to develop a navigational system that is available on every page, maintains the identity of the company and makes it easy to locate data and information. We built Ruban Jamaica’s navigation with those factors in mind and implemented mobile responsiveness so the design would adapt to the users’ screen.
Our client believed that any images on the site should reflect their services and provided a catalogue containing high-quality photos and renders of past and present Ruban Jamaica projects.
We built the website around a strategic colour palette that emulates the professional and premium atmosphere of Ruban Jamaica while maintaining the cohesiveness of the website.
We designed several low-fidelity wireframes for the client to go through and pick the layout that they believed would highlight the most important content – the images.
Picking the right fonts for this project wasn’t an easy process as there are several factors you have to consider. We did eventually come to settle on a combination of serif and sans-serif fonts that represented luxury and premium real estate.
While we paid extra attention to each element that made up the design, we still had to make sure they all worked together as a website. The wwworkshop team and Ruban Jamaica had several rounds of revisions to ensure that everything on the page served a purpose and provided value to the customer.
We sat down and analysed Ruban Jamaica’s website to identify bottlenecks and how we could reduce load times for visitors. After running our tests from different locations around the world and pinpointing the heaviest page elements, we came up with these solutions:
- Leverage browser caching so that return visitors have a smoother experience
- Cache static assets on the website
- Implement lazy loading for images
- Integrate a CDN to deliver copies of the website from servers across the globe rescale and compress oversized images for web use
- Serve local fonts instead of relying on an external service like Google Fonts.
Search Engine Optimisation
Search engine optimisation is a vital step for any small business hoping to rank on popular search engines like Google and Bing. We implemented a combination of on-page and technical SEO to optimise Ruban Jamaica's website for search engines.
SEO is an ongoing process and while we’re not actively maintaining Ruban Jamaica’s website, we made sure they had a solid foundation.
Some of our SEO strategies included:
- Keyword research
- Website structure optimisation
- Content optimisation
- Broken link checking
- Image optimisation
- XML Sitemap integration
- Google Analytics integration
- Meta titles and descriptions
Website security is essential to any small business trying to improve their web presence and bring in more customers. Having a secure website reassures visitors that their data is in the hands of responsible businesses and won’t be vulnerable to leaks and hackers. Some security measures we implemented included:
- Install an SSL certficate to encrypt the connection between the visitor and the website
- Use the secure version of the Hypertext Transfer Protcol (HTTP)
- Cloudflare integration to prevent attacks and serve copies of the website from servers all over the world
We created a website that both wwworkshop and the client were satisfied with. Ruban Jamaica loved the website and how well it matched their brand identity. Additonally, the website started ranking on Google for related keywords such as Jamaican real estate and Jamaica land permits.
Website Analytics (as of late 2020)
- 1,381 sessions
- 1000 visitors
- 5,000 page views
- 3min 26s average time on site
- 41% bounce rate
- 3.56 pages per session
- 14 countries